Skip to main content

On Classroom Communities and Political Prizes

As I am co-facilitating discussion this week I will keep this post briefer than usual. I will make room, however, to note that these readings were very generative; I imagine I will refer back to many of the articles (especially Hall and Giroux) in coming months. These questions may appear in some form during our class presentation so please feel very welcome to leave them until then! 

1. In light of Morley's presentation of Hall as someone cared more about the production of questions than the "production of definitive Answers or Theories" (253) and Kiang's aim to "create community in the classroom" (50) I ask: 

When teaching, how can we build our own classroom communities that value questions above dogmatic theories?  

a. Have you experienced a set of students, like Kiang, who have arrived in the classroom with a premeditated attempt to disrupt? If so, how did you approach resolving the issue without "failing to invest" (58) in other students? 

2. Hall describes the Labour Party as “a prize waiting to be won, if only that transformation, from an Old Left to a New Left party could be brought about” (495). This reminded us of the ongoing struggle within the contemporary Democratic Party to primary centrists and replace them with progressives—do you see any similar parallels? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Articulation_by_Abby Escatel

 In "Race, Articulation and Societies Structured in Dominance," Stuart Hall is concerned with complicating Marxist theory's tendency to overgeneralize and universalize its claims that are specifically located within a European history of labor. Questions concerning slavery, coloniality, unfree/forced labor come to the fore and force Marxist theorists to grapple with the need to be specific in their contextualization and historicization of particular moments, ruptures and conjunctures. My questions are as follows:  1. How do we move forward with Marxism while taking into account the component of "unfreedom" when conceptualizing class, labor, and labor power? How does the "proletariat" fail to account for the lived realities of racialized bodies?  2. It seems as though Hall is also saying that race is not all encompassing and also shouldn't be overgeneralized/universalized. In short, labor and race are both always already at work. As a scholar who ce...

Week 6 Discussion Qs

 Hall brings up the concept of interpellation as applied to social formations. (p 335) How is interpellation related to articulation? How are the two different, if at all? Must the two be discussed together? I have more difficulty conceptualizing interpellation than I do articulation. If we are to take up Hall's warning not to study racism as a set of "historically specific racisms" (336) nor as something with a "universal structure" (337). What balance can we strike today between these two approaches in our current historical moment? Eduardo Bonilla-Silva has written that certain forms of modern racism have been impacted by the prevalent ideology of "colorblindness." Are we still in this moment or are new specificities arising?

Pedagogy vs. the indulgence of regressive politics (a. darryl moton)

I deeply hate to focus on merely one aspect of the incredibly rich texts we read for this week, but I stopped clearly on this paragraph from the Giroux: These are hard times for educators and advocates of democratic schooling. Beseiged by the growing forces of vocationalism and the neoconservative cultural warriors, prospective and existing classroom teachers are caught in an ideological crossfire regarding the civic and political responsibilities they assume as engaged critics and cultural theorists. Asked to define themselves either through the language of the marketplace or through a discourse of liberal objectivity and neutrality that abstracts the political from the realm of the cultural and sopcial, educators are increasingly being pressured to become either servants of corporate power or disengaged specialists wedded to the imperatives of a resurgent and debasing academic professionalism.(343) Having taught in high schools in the early-to-mid-2000s, I witnessed firsthand both...